We are at Level 4 of New Zealand’s four-level COVID-19 alert system. It is likely Level 4 measures will stay in place for a number of weeks. More information on alert levels.
- Everyone must now stay home, except those providing essential services.
- Only make physical contact with those that you live with.
Government COVID-19 Response Briefing
The All of Government COVID-19 National Response will provide an update at 1.00 pm today.
- Dr Caroline McElnay, Director of Public Health.
Ministry of Health Update:
- Second death, woman in her 90s in Christchurch
- One of a group from Rosewood rest home and Hospital
- Part of that cluster
- Because of alert level 4 her family could not be with her at the hospital.
- Reinforces importance of Alert Level 4
- 44 new cases, 23 confirmed and 21 probable
- 373 recovered
- 1283 total cases
- 16 in hospital, 4 in ICU, 2 in critical condition
- 12 significant clusters, Matamata 69 +5 on yesterday, Bluff 87 cases, Marist 84
- 23 new confirmed, 6 probable cases, 29 total new cases
- 317 people who have recovered
- 1239 total cases
- 14 in hospital, 4 ICU in critical condition
- 3547 is the 7 day rolling average number of tests
- 3990 tests tests yesterday
- 12 clusters. Matamata 64, Bluff 87, Marist 84
COVID-19 – current cases
|Total to date||New in last 24 hours|
|Number of confirmed cases in New Zealand||1,015||23|
|Number of probable cases||268||21|
|Number of confirmed and probable cases||1,283||44|
|Number of cases in hospital||16||2|
|Number of recovered cases||373||56|
|Number of deaths||2||1|
Confirmed and probable cases by DHB
Total cases by DHB in hospital
|Capital & Coast (Wellington)||2|
|Counties Manukau (Middlemore)||2|
Download the Map of confirmed and probable cases by DHB (PDF, 282 KB).
Total cases in hospital by DHB
|DHB||Number of cases||Change in last 24 hours|
|Bay of Plenty||39||-1|
|Capital and Coast||86||3|
Note: Four of the 12 in hospital are in ICU.
Total Cases by Age and Gender
Ethnicity percentages of all cases
This information refers to the 1,210 confirmed and probable cases as at 9.00 am 9 April 2020.
|Transmission type||% of cases|
|Contact with known case||44%|
|Source under investigation||14%|
Source: ESR EpiSurv extract as at 09:00 10 April 2020
Lab testing and capacity
|Total tested yesterday||4,520||9 April 2020|
|7-day rolling average||3,700||3 April to 9 April 2020|
|Total tested to date||55,685||22 January to 9 April 2020|
|Supplies in stock||51,119||10 April 2020|
Source: Lab update as at 09:00 10 April 2020
For a detailed break down of ethnicity and DHB region testing see Testing by region.
COVID-19 – tests by day and cumulative
|Date||Tests per Day||Total Tests (Cumulative)|
|22 Jan – 8-Mar||300|
Note: Two sets of cumulative test data have been reconciled to give cumulative total from 22 January 2020 when testing began.