Dirty outside wall … no problem – Sally Selwood had just the cleaner for it.

She washed, she rinsed and then her vision became fuzzy. By the time she had showered she was blind. […]

The neighbour then drove Selwood to her optometrist, who quickly diagnosed she had severe blistering on the front of her eyes. […]

The optometrist said the blistering was a chemical injury caused by the cleaner Selwood had been using – Double Bubble Wet & Forget and told her she was legally blind.

What followed, last November, was two days of blindness, and another three days before Selwood’s eyesight returned to normal.

At the time the 71-year-old had to have her eyes extensively sluiced and she had visited Wellington Hospital on several occasions.

She believed her eyes had come into contact with the chemical when she was rinsing the wall, but was surprised it made contact, because she was wearing prescription glasses.

“I never got the spray directly on my face,” she told Stuff.

Although instructions on the product’s label advised customers to avoid contact with eyes, Selwood believed they needed to be stronger, and should warn people to wear proper eye protection. […]

National Poisons Centre (NPC) deputy director William Boroughf said since the product’s launch in 2019 the centre had received 14 calls about exposure to Wet & Forget Double Bubble. Of those, 12 related to eye exposure, ranging from drops and splashes to mist blowing into the eye. Boroughf said all callers complained of eye pain and redness with some saying symptoms lasted longer than 24 hours, including blurry vision.

Stuff

Read more here. Discuss it on The BFD.

A contribution from The BFD staff.